Sports Jones

Experience the thrill of sports and other daily happenings from a sports enthusiast

Friday, April 15, 2005

Terrell Owens

Did anyone see Terrell Owens crying on t.v. last night? What is going on? I know that he fired his agent and hired someone else who it appears has somewhat of a "reputation" amongst those in the know. I know that T.O. wants to redo his contract. I know that he has made some comments about the Super Bowl game. I know that he is always in the spotlight. I know that he seems to be a sensitive guy. I know that he loves Philly (or does he?) But, what I do not know is why is the fact that he wants to redo his contract a big deal? People do it all the time, right?

I guess the problem is that he just signed that contract last year. (Why would he sign it if it wasn't what he really wanted?) I guess it looks like he is trying to be greedy, but isn't that what negotiating is about? Well, maybe not greed, but it is about trying to get what you feel you're worth. Just like in the "real" world. Wouldn't you, as an employee, try to get what you are worth?

Are we making too big a deal about this? Is it the fact that T.O. is a professional athlete that this becomes a problem? Is it the fact that T.O. always seems to be in some sort of controversy? Is is the fact that some think he is not honoring his contract?

I don't know. What I do know is that I feel T.O. should be able to take care of his family and be paid what he is worth. I have a problem with the fact that this contract was signed a year ago and he is already trying to restructure it. (Although this, too, could be seen as an annual review in the "real" world.) I also know that it is ashame that this has to play out in the public. I really do feel for T.O. because he seems like a decent person and I really think that he is only trying to get what he feels is right, but can we please not take it on such a personal level and leave the man and his negotiations alone?

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really like T.O. and think he is a talented football player. I'm glad he is an Eagle.

I also believe it is a great thing that Stern may be getting involved in the pending T.O. contract negotiation because I believe this could negatively affect the entire league if there are no constraints when it comes to renegotiating a contract that was previously negotiated in good faith and there appear to be no major changes in circumstances to warrant a "renegotiation." Though I cannot comment authoritatively on the subject, because there are undoubtedly issues and facts that the public is not privy too (as TO intimated to the other day), in theory, I believe the NFL should set parameters as to the circumstances under which a contract can be renegotiated when it has been entered in to fairly recently (the definition of "recently" should also be stated clearly by the League).
Good luck TO and good luck Stern!

7:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I also like T.O. as well, BUT - a deal is a deal. I personally think that T.O. is being misled by Rosenhaus. Remember Rosenhaus, does not make a dime unless he renegotiates the contract. Rosenhaus is also known as an agent that steal players from other agents. The problem with THAT system is that if the other agent files a grievance, the player needs to testify on the situation, and getting a player to go against the new agent is an issue.

Will T.O. sit out during mini camp? Probably! Does he get paid? Who does he hurt if he does not get paid? His family. Is that why he is doing this - to take care of his family.... I think his family is taken care of for the rest of their lives anyway. However... I think the biggest part of T.O.'s contract is to come in his third year with the Eagles. I think he gets another $5M. Come on!

Anyways, who is T.O. hurting by fighting about a contract that he signed? Himself - who is gonna pick him up if the Eagles trade him? The Raiders maybe - Randy Moss and T.O. on the same team????

7:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

CORRECTED VERSION OF 7:57PM COMMENT: I really like T.O. and think he is a talented football player. I'm glad he is an Eagle.

I also believe it is a great thing that Tagliabue may be getting involved in the pending T.O. contract negotiation because I believe this could negatively affect the entire league if there are no constraints when it comes to renegotiating a contract that was previously negotiated in good faith and there appear to be no major changes in circumstances to warrant a "renegotiation." Though I cannot comment authoritatively on the subject, because there are undoubtedly issues and facts that the public is not privy too (as TO intimated to the other day), in theory, I believe the NFL should set parameters as to the circumstances under which a contract can be renegotiated when it has been entered in to fairly recently (the definition of "recently" should also be stated clearly by the League).
Good luck TO and good luck Tagliabue!

11:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home